I love it when Montessori teachers share their secrets and today’s conversation with Nichole Holtvluwer of Radicle Beginnings is just like that. Nichole talks us through why children need boundaries, and we can set these limits in a calm and clear way from a child hitting to a fussy eater.
Nichole is so respectful in how she communicates with children right down to making intentional word choices and how she speaks with them to keep them curious about the world around them. She is an expert with Montessori for toddlers, but her advice is relevant for any age child. I hope you love it as much as I did.
In the episode, I also give you lots of tips for setting up your home in a Montessori way and answer a listener question about sharing.
This week’s listener question
This week’s question comes from Kerri:
I was wondering about sharing and taking turns in a child with a language delay. She is turning 4 in April but she is my first so I don’t know what is developmentally appropriate. I very much follow peaceful parenting at home and she is doing well for the most part interacting with her brother who is 8 month. But at school with other children her age, she will tantrum if she does not get what she wants. She is in a special ed preschool through services for language but they are making me seem like she should not be acting this way. I have tried to give the school strategies that work for me and I know that part of it is the overstimulation of the classroom and her not being able to fully express herself. Any advice on what I should be focusing on that she could maybe take with her to school? Thank you
- Nichole’s website, Radicle Beginnings
- Nichole’s instagram, @radiclebeginnings
- If You’re Happy and You Know It, by Julianna Swaney – a children’s book that includes diversity
- Parenting Safe Children, based in Colorado
- Insect lore – order caterpillars
- A lovely talk by Nichole on toddlers’ language and communication on Youtube
- My free 44-page list of Montessori activities by age
- My 4-week self-study Setting up your home Montessori-style course
- Submit your listener question and it may be selected to be answered in Episode 12
Photos of Nichole
Here are some fun photos of Nichole including her doing her favourite flower arranging activity with a child, her brother and her (with service dog Fender), her classroom, and her adorable dog helping.